scooterlife - photog's blog

Motorcycles. Scooters. Wheelchairs. Tape. Whatever rolls.

Monday, April 03, 2006

A Super 9 Update - yeah, it's cheap fun

A bit more info on Super 9 commuting.

My current commute is 7 miles each way, give or take, depending on the route I take. The fastest road is a 45mph stretch. The S9 has no problems keeping up with traffic at any point on the commute.

Gas mileage is averaging 75-80mpg, running it close to redline for cruise, though I try to keep it in the 6K range for a comfortable cruise of 40-ish. At 35-40 in commuter traffic it has more than enough of its skinny little midrange powerband to overtake traffic and blast past them. Imagine that. It never ceases to amaze me how much fun a commute can be when you're stalking one car after another and passing them with 50cc's.

The bike has never failed to start. During the coldest nights when it was 20-30 degrees, I let it warm up for a minute or two. Never missed a beat.

The only observation was that when I starting riding it instead of the Stella, it ran rough for the first few days--enough that it would stumble when pulling into an intersection--so make sure you run it around a bit after a few weeks off before subjecting it to the "I need power now" demands of commuting.