scooterlife - photog's blog

Motorcycles. Scooters. Wheelchairs. Tape. Whatever rolls.

Monday, May 02, 2005

First day of experiment

Most of my work requires that I drive the Jeep in order to carry around the equipment I use as a photographer. Occasionally I'm teaching, so I've got quite a bit of stuff to cart around--a mobile multimedia lab of 6 laptops and 6 cameras. But other than that, since I have a home office, my errands are fairly simple--get groceries, get prescription medicines, go to the post office, go shopping. Just about all those places are no more than 7 miles from the house. So that's the basis of this experiment: drive a 49cc scooter for every trip where I don't need the cargo capacity of the Jeep.

And here it is, in all its glory--a 2004 Vento Zip R3i.



Today was the first trip, after the initial joyriding that ensued after the beast fired up. I headed out to the bank to deposit a check. This particular route was about 12 miles round-trip on a 45mph heavily-travelled artery during rush hour, complete with several tough hills. The scoot managed to hold between 30 and 35mph on the hills, 40 on the flats, and 42 downhill--all indicated speeds (I'll check them with a GPS later). A couple of times I waved traffic past as I hugged the white line, but for the most part I was able to keep up with traffic and held my place in the center of the lane. It didn't take me any longer than it would've in a car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home